Make your own free website on
Thomas Leonard Frazier Story

    In romantic masculine manner he took his sweetheart astride his dashing steed and traveled to the home of the bride's aunt (Caroline Holbrook) in Bountiful, where the two were joined happy wedlock, the 9th day of March 1849.
    After their marriage they made their home in Great Salt Lake County, where three children: Thomas Wilford, Rachel Christobel, and Martha Jane came to bless their home.
    On February 24, 1856, among others the following names were given from the stand of the Tabernacle in Great Salt Lake City, to go on mission to Green River, Thomas Leonard Frazier and James Valentine Young.
    Thomas Frazier and Rachel Maxfield Young were sealed to each other April 11, 1856, by President Brigham Young, in the Salt Lake Endowment house, prior to their departure for missions to Green River. It was while at Breen River that their 4th child Marion was born in a wagon box June 20, 1856, at Fort Supply, Wyoming.
    They returned from Green River to Great Salt Lake City where two more children, John Leonard and Jemima were born.
    In 1862 President Brigham Young called for settlers for the Upper Weber River, and Thomas Leonard Frazier with his wife, six children and others traveled east of Salt Lake City some forty miles to settle in what is now Summit County. They were among the first settlers to settle in the little town of Wanship on the banks of the Weber River. Here they established a little home and were blessed with four more children: Warren Monroe, Malinda Elizabeth, Almira Allisa, and Walter who died in infancy, making a total of ten children, five girls and five boys.
    Here Thomas took up farming and also the trade of burning charcoal which he freighted by wagon to Salt Lake City. It was here in this small town that his eldest daughter, Rachel Christobel, had grown to young womanhood and thus a young man (James Kilfoyle) of ill character insisted upon seeing her. As a true and loyal father, he forbid the young man to keep company with his daughter. On the night of July 24, 1860, tragedy struck the family. A crowded dance had just paused for intermission as Thomas with his daughters and others proceeded to their home where a bounteous supper had been prepared for them. As they approached the house two devil-filled men, namely Kilfoyle and Snyder leaped from the chimney corner knocking Thomas to the ground. Kilfoyle thrust a dagger into his side and it said that Snyder held a gun but did not use it as the frightened pair fled into the dark. Thomas was taken to the house and upon removal of his garments his wife exclaimed, "Tom, you're stabbed". The following day Dr. Heber John Richards accompanied by Elders Brigham Young Jr and John W. Young went to render any assistance possible but the doctor could only administer sedatives to relieve his suffering.
    On July 26 his spirit departed from this mortal sphere, leaving a heart-broken wife and ten children. Thomas Wilford the eldest assumed the task of aiding his mother in caring for the needs of his younger brothers and sisters. Their father had often remarked that he would not live to be more than 44 years of age. This was his age at the time of his death.

    Thus the spirit of that evil one in the hearts of men had claimed the life of a loyal soldier, heroic pioneer, and devoted husband and loving father.
 Compiled April 2, 1953 by Warren Leonard Frazier.