Make your own free website on



Written by his daughter, Marjorie Alice Reynolds McCandless

Thomas Henry Reynolds was born 23 Nov 1875 in Wanship, Summit County, Utah, to William and Martha Jane Frazier Reynolds. He was the second of nine children, his older brother was Frederick William, his younger brothers and sisters were, Theron Leonard (Thede), Martha Gertrude (True), Pearl and Ruby (twins), Eunice, Robert Ingersoll, and Nina.
Wanship at this time was a bustling town. It was the resting place for all travel to and from Park City. It took four general merchandise stores to handle the trade. There were three millinery shops, one dressmaking shop, two blacksmiths, two saloons, a brewery, three hotels, two saw mills and a grist mill. William Reynolds owned one of the stores, using part of his store for the post office as he was post master. He had been a mail carrier, the constable, had owned one of the hotels, and still operated a ranch which is now covered by the waters of Rockport Lake. The Reynolds family were respected and well liked in the town. Tom had a happy childhood without the poverty and grubbing that many of the boys of that time had to endure. He did his share of chore on the ranch and enjoyed all the luxuries that were available in those days. He had his own horse, Mark, and raced between Peoa and Wanship with his friends. He attended school in a one room rock building in which one teacher taught eight grades. He is pictured in the Rockport Band holding a French horn. He said in later life that they needed a boy to hold the horn for the picture and he was chosen. I do not know whether or not he played in the band, but he always loved band music especially the marches of John Phillip Sousa.
In 1894-1895 Tom and his brother, Frederick, were living together in Salt Lake and attending the University of Utah. Tom was in the class of 1900, called the "Naughty-naughts". In 1897 Tom had to leave school and return to Wanship to help his father on the ranch. Fred finished his course at the University, taught there for awhile and then went on to Harvard University. He returned to the University of Utah where we was a Professor of English and founded and was the first director of the Extension Division, now known as the Division of Continuing Education. Tom returned to Salt Lake to take a few courses at the LDS Business College.
About 1898 the Reynolds family moved to Park City. Here Tom drove teams for McPolin's Bottling Works, Lewis Coal Company and others. He drove stage for Kimball's Livery and Transfer going over the mountain tops to Brighton. He was an express agent for Wells Fargo Express, which was bought by Adams Express, which in turn was bought by American Railway Express.
His company sent him to Bingham Canyon where he met and married Ida Waters in 1906. They went to Helper for a while and returned to Park City in 1914 where Tom was again agent for American Railway Express. In 1923 the Railway Express Agency, as it was known then, closed its office in Park City. Tom was given the choice of going to Cedar City or to Salt Lake. He chose Salt Lake because he felt he would have a better opportunity of "bumping" or bidding on another agency. The one he chose was in Ontario, Oregon where he was agent for five years. He worked for a very short time in Boise, Idaho before returning to Salt Lake in 1929. He worked for the agencies for a total of 32 years.
Salt Lake, 1929, led into the Depression years. Work was scarce. Tom, who had little seniority in Salt Lake, was on the extra board, called at a minutes notice to replace someone who failed to show up for work. Tom was a proud man and it was hard for not to be able to support his family and to have to ask for welfare, or "go on relief", as it was called then. He did obtain work with the WPA and did some research for the book, "Utah, A Guide to the State". I quote from the forward of the book: "Fully as significant, the Utah Guide supplies a glowing example of how reservoirs of unemployed labor and talent may be used to furnish the power for unique achievements that are valuable socially, artistically, and economically."
He retired 20 Mar 1940 and drew his pension for fifteen years. He was never a union man and did not believe a man should have to join a union to get or hold a job. He never joined but he did receive all benefits.
In 1941 the family moved from the center of Salt Lake to East Mill Creek. Here Tom was in his element. A big yard to care for, fruit trees and a garden spot. He loved working in the yard and fixing things up. Every house they ever rented was always left in better condition than when they moved into it. He painted and repaired and cleaned things up. He planted and trimmed and fertilized and made things grow. Ida said he could shove a dead stick into the ground and it would grow.
When they moved into their own home in Mount Air Acres, 1456 East 3115 South, he started again, a complete landscaping job, moving boulders, spreading topsoil, planting lawn, shrubs and flowers, and all of this he untertook at seventy years of age. The result was that his yard was the showplace of the neighborhood.
Although his job had always come first so that he did not have much time to spend with his children, he more than made up for it with his devotion to his grandchildren, all of them from Richard to Kay Lynn. (Two of them he never saw, Tom E. and Jerri Lynn.) He had all the patience in the world with them and got such a kick out of watching them grow up. They all have many fond memories of Grandpa and the house in Mount Air Acres. He was just as patient with the neighborhood kids too, especially the Handley children.
Tom was not a member of any church but he urged his children to go to Sunday School. Ida was very active in the Relief Society and he never complained about the meetings she had to attend. He liked the ladies she worked with and was friendly with their husbands.
He loved going to the mountains, especially camping at Mirror Lake, where he could "count the stars". He was the fire tender and wood chopper. The family has so many happy memories of the good times we had there before the road was paved and people found and ruined the beauty of the place. His favorite drive was to Wanship and through the farmland to Peoa. Now this road is covered by the waters of Rockport Lake. When he turned 65, he and his cousin, Bill Gardener, used to get a 10 cent fishing license and Bill would drive them up the nearby canyons to fish. They never caught many fish, but they enjoyed being together and talking of their early childhood days.
Tom was a worker, not a lazy bone in his body. He was always up early and had chores to keep him busy all day. He was a handy man around the house. Anything the needed to be fixed was done immediately before it had a chance to break completely. When Ida worked, he kept the housework done, except for the cooking. His cooking ability was limited to making a cup of tea, a slice of toast and maybe an egg. As his children married and had homes of their own, he was always ready to help with anything they might need, usually going on the bus and carrying his tools with him. He made chests and stools that are still in use today. They may not have been beautiful but they were made to last. He made a sleigh for Aileen's girls. It was a work of art. A body like a wagon with raised sides so the kids wouldn't slide off, four separate runners, curved with a piece of metal stripping attached for easy gliding, a handle to be used for pulling or steering and it was all painted green. He repaired and then repaired again, toys for his grandchildren, always topping off the job with a fresh coat of paint, any color that he happened to have on hand. He loved to paint and usually had some project going that would require a paint job.
His life spanned the home entertainment era from cylinder records to television. In Ontario he had a cabinet Victorola, a machine that was wound by hand, the needle placed on the heavy record. These were played one at a time and sometimes the machine would run down and the music would slow down accordingly. A quick wind-up would sent it back to its regular pace. Tom liked songs by Maurice Gunsky, Gene Austen, Aileen Stanley (for whom Aileen was named). In 1928 he \bought a big radio set from Montgomery Ward Catalogue. Today, over fifty years old, this radio is still in working condition. Tom loved the radio. He would sit on his little black rocker in front of it, and turn the dial to see how many distant stations he could pick up. Later he had his favorite radio programs, Amos and Andy, Fibber McGee and Molly, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Ed Wynn, and the different theater plays, newscasters like Edward R. Murrow, H. V. Kaltenberg and others. He liked to listen to the broadcasts of the prize fights, especially the Joe Louis fights. The kids did not touch the radio. He picked the programs to be heard. In 1951 they bought a television set which was a source of much enjoyment for both of them. They were getting older now and the TV filled their evenings with pleasure. Again Tom operated the set. It was turned on at a specified time to watch a good program and then shut off again. None of this turning it on first thing in the morning and letting it scream all day long with no one paying attention to it as is done today. It was a special treat for them.
Tom enjoyed parades. For many years he would meet his daughters and grandchildren on Main Street to watch the 24th of July parade. Then they would either go to a show or to someone's house to have lunch. He liked the band music and the horses.
In appearances Tom was not tall, only about 5 feet 6 inches but he would not be called "Shorty". The men he worked with called him Tommy. When young, his hair was dark and curly. In later years it thinned out and was gray. His eyes were blue and his eyesight was good although he wore glasses in later life. His usual outfit was a pair of striped bib overalls, but he could dress in a suit when it was required. He always wore a hat, felt in winter and a straw hat in the summer. He smoked a pipe and Prince Albert tobacco for many years until he had his teeth out and couldn't hold the pipe in his mouth. Then he took up cigarettes but finally quit smoking altogether in 1947. His health was excellent. He had an operation for prostrate trouble in 1940 but no other serious ailments until his heart attacks in 1955.
He loved to read books, magazines and newspapers. He took the Readers Digest for years and made a check mark on each article as he read it, so that he wouldn't start to read it again. He was very intelligent. In fact even today we use the phrase, "Reynolds' intelligence", in referring to any of our overly smart kids. Of course the other phrase used not so often is "nasty Reynolds' disposition". Tom loved to write letters to members of his family who were away, sympathy notes or thank-you notes, business letters, articles that Ida needed in her church work, and diaries. Daily diaries that started with the weather, high and low temperatures, and progressed through each day with times of meals, phone calls, visits from family or friends and any other noteworthy event. We have fourteen years of his diaries from 1941 to 1955, a factual, first-hand record of births, deaths and marriages, trips, big events and little events, times of arrivals and departures of guests, a daily record of his life, written in indelible pencil and some of it hard to read. In his writings, he refers to Ida as Mrs. to Myron as The Boy, and to himself as THR.


Written by her daughter, Marjorie R. McCandless
1979 - 1980

    Ida Waters was born 23 Oct 1886 in Springville, Utah, to William Birch and Charlotte Sharples Waters. She was the third child and third daughter and the family of five lived in a two-room log house. Her older sisters were Zina May and Lillie Esther. The younger brothers and sisters were William Westley, Clara Dean, Fern, Myron (Bish), and Della.

    When she was about two years of age the family moved to West Jordan (now Midvale), and rented a house from Ralph Jenkins. A year later William sold the home in Springville and bought one in Midvale. This was a three-room house with a summer kitchen near by. The summer kitchen contained a coal stove, table, and wash tubs. Here the washing was done and during the hot summer months, meals were prepared here and carried into the main house. This kept the house much cooler. There was a pig-pen, chicken coops and a stable for the horses. They had apple and plum trees and a large vegetable garden. The three older girls were paid a nickel a row to keep the garden free of weeds. Needless to say, they did not get rich. Their father made them a rope swing in one of the big trees, and on one of the top branches he placed a bob-cat he had shot and stuffed, using two big yellow marbles for eyes. It looked alive and ready to pounce on the sweet innocent child in the swing below. It caused a great deal of consternation when first seen by a passerby.
    One day as Ida was walking home along the ditch bank, she met Sam Jenkins riding his horse with his dog following him. For some unknown reason the dog jumped on Ida and bit her on the hip. This caused her to have St. Vitus Dance. Her father took her to Dr. Robertson in Sandy who gave her medicine for it, but she had attacks of it every Spring until she finally outgrew it. It was most embarrassing for her because the kids and even some of the adults stared and made fun of her. The nervous disease passed but she carried the scar on her hip the rest of her life and was always terrified of all dogs, large or small.
    Ida relates:     "I was a sickly child having measles, chickenpox, and so many sore throats. Mother used to wrap a piece of salt pork around my throat and then put a red hot coal shovel as close to my neck as was safe. One time she blew sulphur down my throat, besides rubbing olive oil and turpentine on me. I had red spots on my legs and Dr. Robertson said it was spotted fever and if the spots went to my stomach, I would die. The doctor gave me medicine to take. It tasted so nasty that Father brought home a case of strawberry soda water so I could drink it after the medicine. Now over seventy years have passed and I still can't stand the taste or smell of strawberry soda."
    On a cold day in February, Ida was baptized a member of the LDS Church. She had a hard time getting her mother's consent because the weather was so cold and she was afraid Ida would get pneumonia. But it had to be done that day because Ethel Goff, Ida's best friend, was being baptized then and Ida just had to go along, too. After much coaxing, her mother relented and on 24 Feb 1895 the two girls were baptized in the cold, murky waters of the Jordan River by Hyrum Goff. They were taken to the Goff home where Ida remembered being given white peppermints that Hyrum Goff carried in the pocket of his long black coat. She was confirmed by Benjamin Canning. (It seems so strange that 80 years later I would be researching these same families, the Jenkins, Goffs, Cannings and many others whom my mother knew so well as a child. No wonder they all seemed so real to me, as the niece of Ethel Goff and I worked together on the Midvale History Book.)
    About 1897 the family moved to Bingham Canyon, piling their furniture and belongings on a hay-rack with the cow tied on behind. It was quite a sight. Here they lived in a four-room house on the side of the hill. No water in the place. It all had to be carried from a spring nearby. The out-house was over the creek and in the spring, the run-off water would come up between the floorboards. Although Bingham was a rough mining town, it was a fun place for kids. There were endless hills to roam, streams to fish, and plenty of snow in the Winter for sleigh riding. Ida and her brother, Bill, enjoyed many good times together and in later years Ida would always remember Bingham with fondness.
    Ida had started school in Midvale in an old adobe school house. In Bingham she completed her formal education by graduating with honors from the eighth grade in 1903. The quality of her education must have been much better than it is today because she was an excellent bookkeeper, secretary, and manager. She had a very clear and pretty handwriting.
    Ida had worked even while going to school. She did housework and tended children for a family by the name of Evans. For this she was paid $1.50 a week.
Later she became bookkeeper for Schlipp's Butcher Shop and here she learned all the different kinds and cuts of meat.
    When she was 18, she decided to have her picture taken. This meant taking the train, Bingham Bill, to Midvale. From there she took the stage to Salt Lake to the photographers. She carried her best clothes in a satchel and changed into them there. She wore a "Gibson Girl" shirtwaist dress trimmed with lace and tiny tucks at the shoulders and waist. She had a gold watch on a chain around her neck. Her long dark hair was caught with a bow in back and on her head she wore a hat with a huge ostrich plume. Then, as always in her later years, she posed with her hands behind her. "Hands were ugly," she said, " and should not be seen." (I question her belief on that. The first thing I saw clearly after a cataract operation were her work-worn hands fixing eyedrops for me. They were not ugly.)
    When the Waters family first arrived in Bingham, there was no LDS Church there, so they attended the Methodist Church. In 1899, the Bingham Canyon Ward was organized and the next year William Birch Waters became Bishop, a position he held until 1913. Ida was very active in her church. She was a Sunday School teacher, secretary of the Sunday School, assistant organist, member of the choir, and the first female ward clerk. She also acted as a pallbearer at the funerals of babies and small children. She loved to dance and won several prizes, including a silver berry spoon still in use today by her daughter, Elva.
    In the early 1900's a young man came to Bingham from Park City to work for Wells Fargo Express. How he and Ida met is not known to me. It could have been at a dance but definitely not at church because Thomas Henry Reynolds was not a member. But they did meet and were married in 1906. Sometime later they moved to Helper, Utah where they lived for about nine years, renting and moving into several different houses. (I don't know why they moved so much. As I look back, it seems we were always moving, either from house to house or city to city.) Tom and Ida were the parents of five children: Elva, born in Bingham; Leslie Maurice, born in Helper; Marjorie Alice (Mardie), Myron Woodrow, and Aileen, all born in Park City. All except Aileen were born at home. Aileen was born in the Miners Hospital in Park City. I remember Dad taking us through the deep snow to see mom. She was alone in a small room, with a coal stove and it was so awfully hot. She told us that she hadn't liked the meal that was brought to her, so she had slid out of bed and chucked it in the stove. This stay in 1922 was her only experience in a hospital until 1970 when she had a cataract removed at the age of 84.
    Probably the most devastating experience of Ida's life was the death of their oldest son, Leslie, who died when nearly four years old. He had been born with a defective heart, "leakage of the heart", it was called then. In this day of open-heart surgery, an operation could have saved his life but it was unknown then. Leslie died in a hospital in Salt Lake in Oct 1917. It was a heartbreaking ordeal for the family. At this time Williams Waters was working for the Wasatch Lawn Cemetery, and all the families, the William Waters, The William Reynolds and The Thomas Reynolds, had bought adjoining lots. Leslie was the first to be buried there. Myron had diptheria when he was about five. His was the only case in Summit County and no one knew how he contacted it, but he was desperately ill for many days. Dr. Snow tried the new anti-toxin on him and also gave shots to the rest of the family. Elva and I hid in the woodshed but were found and dragged into the kitchen and given a shot in the loose skin on our stomach. We were all quarantined in and dad was kept out so he could work, but I remember him sneaking in after dark to see how we were doing. The neighbors, especially Mrs. Gibson, were wonderful and kept us supplied with meals. Aileen had pneumonia when she was nine months old and nearly died. A poultice of fried onions and turpentine was used on her and given the credit for the cure. She also burned her hand quite badly while just learning to walk. We had a pot-bellied coal heater with a silver trim like a skirt ruffle around its middle. It fascinated Aileen and she had been warned not to touch it, but one day while in her walker and with no one to stop her, she laid her hand on the red hot metal. Aileen also spoke her own language. For example, she called Myron "Bub-bub", Elva was "Latter latter-dee". Ida wrote the words and their meanings in a small notebook which Aileen still has today.
    In Aug 1923, Tom transferred to Salt Lake. They rented a house on Harvard Avenue and the older kids started school. In the fall of the same year, Tom bid on a job as agent in a small town in eastern Oregon and was accepted. They spent Christmas in Salt Lake and immediately after packed and moved to Ontario, Oregon. Tom had gone on ahead and rented a house. Ida and the kids arrived to find the house a mess and the pipes all frozen in the cold winter weather. Ida was in the depths of despair. She had left all her family and friends back in Utah and this desolate place, flat land without one mountain, seemed like the ends of the earth. But spring came and things looked better. They moved across town to a better house. What started out as a disaster proved to be the happiest years for the whole family. The house was much bigger with huge trees on two sides. The ye\ard was mass of weeds which Ida cut with shearts until it could be cut with a lawn mower. This grew into the toughest lawn that could withstand crowds of kids playing on it. There was a coop for chickens and a well with a hand pump. The water was supposed to be contaminated and used only to water the lawn and flowers but I am sure each of the kids sampled it with no ill effects.
    Ontario was a small town, on industry, mostly farms and big fruit orchards. There were few Mormons there and a new LDS family, especially one straight from Zion, was welcomed with open arms. In 1926 a branch of the Weiser Ward was organized with 139 members including all children. Ida was the first secretary and treasurer of the Relief Society. She taught a Sunday School class, sang in duets and quartets. Meetings were held in homes and halss or any place they could get. Finally arrangements were made with the Seventh-Day Adventists, who held their meeting on Saturday and would rent their building to the Mormons on Sunday. It was a picture postcard chapel, small and white with a picket fence around it. Ida and her family spent many happy hours there. The kids took part in programs and meetings. They had parties and always celebrated the 24th of July which meant nothing in Oregon. Once in a great while a church authority would find his way there to speak, and if one member could get to General Conference in Salt Lake, it was quite a triumph and a detailed report was always given on his return.
    Not all of Ida's friends were LDS. The Charlie Powells lived near them and had lots of kids for hers to be friends with. In back of them with adjoining back yards lived the only black family in Ontario. The father worked as a shoe shine man in a local barber shop. They had two girls, Alice and Barbara, who played with the kids. When Ida was leaving Ontario, she went over to tell the wife goodbye. When she accepted her invitation to enter her house, the black woman broke down and cried. She said Ida was the first white person to ever enter her house in all the years she had lived in Ontario. This shows what kind of a neighbor Ida was. Every place she lived she made good friends and did all she could to help them. There was a widower who lived close by in Ontarion and many a hot meal Ida sent over to him and his small son. All children were welcomed to play in her yard. Anything she had she would share with others.
    The five years spent in Ontario were the happiest of Ida's life. She made annual trips back to Utah, usually on Decoration Day, when all the families gathered at the cemetery. She and Tom took the kids on the train with free passes to Portland and to California several times. Charles Powell had a big truck and he would pile both families in it and go to Vale, Oregon for the Fourth of July celebration and the County Fair. She and Mrs. Powell and the older kids got up before dawn one summer and went to pick peas for one of the farmers. They all quit at noon the first day with broken backs and very little money. There was no way they could compete with the Mexican laborers. Another time they thinned apples in the local orchards. In a cluster of small green apples all except one were flipped off onto the ground, leaving the one to grow much larger. Ida was a whiz at this job, climbing trees and perching on tall ladders as though she had done it all her life. The boss really liked her and she did this work every summer. It was a good life for all of them. Acres of country for the kids to explore, a new swimming pool, parties and picnics, church activities, excellent schools and lots of friends. It was a happy time and I often wonder how our lives would have been if we had never left Ontario.
    Then came the inevitable move again. This time back to Salt Lake City. In the fall of 1929, with the shedding of many tears, the family packed up and moved to a house west on Fourth South. They only lived there a few months before moving to 639 South 2nd West. Here they lived for about three years and then moved around the corner to 219 West Sixth South. This was the time of the Great Depression and times were very hard. Tom was on the extra board and worked only when called to replace someone. Ida was hard-pressed to keep food on the table for her family, but through the help of some good friends and members of the family, she managed. Many times she walked from her house to see her Mother, a distance of five miles each way. She again became active in her church. She was secretary-treasurer of the Fourth Ward Relief Society and later became second counselor. Again her activities in church proved to be mind saving. She was always busy with socials or quilting or helping someone and these things kept her sanity through the depression. Her youngest daughter, Aileen, started school and Ida became a room mother and helped with the school lunch program. Tom retired and took his pension which, although small, came on a regular basis, and could be budgeted.
    In early 1941 her sister, Della, who lived in East Mill Creek told the family of a house to rent near her and urged them to take it. It would be a move out of town and necessary to take the bus everywhere. They hestitated for nearly a month but when the rent was lowered to $25, they decided to take it. ($25.00 for a six-room brick bungalow, full basement, fruit trees and a quarter-acre garden spot. Tom planted a garden and started to improve the place. Ida was happy. She bottled fruits and vegetables and worked in the yard. It was good to be near her sister who could drive and took them places. Her brothers and sisters started getting together for birthdays and having canyon parties in the summer. The end of 1941 saw the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the beginning of World War II. Myron was in the Air Corps and was sent to Africa and Ida started to worry again. In 1944 events really started to happen. Mardie, the last to leave home, was married. Aileen's husband, Earl, was in the Navy and Aileen was expecting a baby. Aileen and Carole moved home and Mardie and George took her apartment. Then the final blow fell. They had to move again. The on 33rd South had been sold and they had to leave immediately. Mardie's apartment was burned out and the same night Aileen had twins. It was just too much for Ida to handle and she almost broke, but Della took Aileen and the twins and Mardie and George found an apartment in Salt Lake and Tom and Ida found a house in Mill Creek Canyon. It was a lovely house with beautiful surroundings but Ida hated it and was most unhappy. They called it the "pop steam house" because the steam boiler used for heat had a safety valve that went off at times. Aileen and the three girls were with them here.
    It was impossible at this time to find rental houses, so Myron talked them into buying a home in a new development called Mount Air Acres near Highland Drive and 33rd South. Myron made the down payment and Tom and Ida in 1945 moved into a brand new, just finished house at 1456 East 3115 South, Salt Lake City. The yard was piles of dirt and the back was full of huge boulders. There was lots of work to be done. Tom and Myron pushed the boulders to the field back of them. Tom planted lawn, flowers and shrubs. He made a white picket fence to hide the garbage cans. Throughout the years they had driveway strips poured although they had no car. They fenced it completely, put in a stoker to feed the furnace, and connected with the sewer system. This is the house all the grandkids remember as Grandma's house. They had many good times there and holiday meals. Ida kept a toy box in the front closet full of empty bottles, small boxes, old wallets, spoons, blocks and she would add a few new toys once in a while. All the kids loved it and it was the first thing they went after on their arrival, but they also picked up everything before they left for home. In this closet, hung from the ceiling, Ida kept a Model plane that Myron made in the 1930's from Balsa wood and tissue paper and rubber bands. She had moved this every place with her, keeping it in perfect condition. It is now in the possession of Myron's grandson.
    The Bill Handley family lived next door to Tom and Ida and they were the best of friends. They were a young family with small children who loved to come next door. They always called Ida "Mrs. R." They were always doing thing for each other and lived and shared each other's joys and sorrows for eighteen years. In early 1946 Ida thought about finding work. Earl had returned from the Navy and taken his family to a home of their own. She answered an add in the paper for the United Bakery and got the job. It meant catching a bus at 5:00 am riding to Ninth South and walking two blocks to the Bakery. She did this for nearly six years, starting in Apr 1946 and quitting in December, 1952. She started working as an apple corer but was soon promoted to filling pies and doing just about everything else. She enjoyed working and especially the ladies she worked with. They appreciated her, too, because when she left, they gave her a party at Andy's Smorgasbord and presented her with a necklace and earrings. In fact everytime she left a place, she was given a party of appreciation.
    The Ontario Ward gave her a party and a year later special tribute was paid to her. I quote from a letter sent to her:
    "Next Tuesday being the Mar 17 we are having a little special service in loving memory of our dear Sister Ida Reynolds. The literature lesson will be given as usual but the song will be the ones you loved and we loved to hear you sing, "When the Mists Have Cleared Away," for you, and the others will sing some of your old favorites. Our prayers on that day will be for you and that you will remember those who love you so dearly. Be with us in spirit from two-thirty to four".
    From the minutes of that meeting: " 17 Mar 1931. Ontario Branch Relief Society. Tribute was paid to our dear Sister Ida Reynolds by Sister Nora Baker, who brought to memory again the faithfulness and service given in such a beautiful, humble way by our dear Sister Ida. A special delivery letter from Ida was received in time to be read."
    The secretary, Vera Plant, adds a note to the copy of the minutes that was sent to Ida: "I add that we all smiled a little, sighed a little and cried a little while Nora spoke and I tried to swallow a basketball and read your letter. After meeting I called Minnie and Kate and read your letter over the phone."
    Such were the impressions Ida made on the people she associated with.
    Tom and Ida made many trips on the railroad. Even after Tom retired they were entitled to passes for free transportation.  Elva and Ida returned to Ontario in 1937 where they were made so very welcome. In 1958 she and her sister, Lillie, stopped off in Ontario on their way to Seattle. Again there were many who remembered Ida, even after thirty years and again they "whined and dined". Tom and Ida made several trips to California to see his sister, Ruby. Myron lived in Long Beach, Las Vegas, and Phoenix, Arizona. They made many trips to these places and Myron, who was a pilot for one of the airlines, took them on their first plane trip to Carson City, Nevada to visit Tom's sister, Pearl. Later Myron got them passes on Bonanza Air Lines and they flew to visit him and Maxine.
    After Ida quit the bakery, she drew her Social Security and they managed pretty well. For many years she had a family dinner at Christmas time and all the family came every Easter to show off the kids' new Easter outfits. She started having her "birthday dinner" in October. She would decorate the table beautifully, either with autumn or Halloween motif, and cook a lovely dinner for her three daughters and her "adopted" daughter, Wanda Park, who was a close friend of Mardie's. In her later years, Ida and the girls would get together at someone's home or go out to celebrate her birthday. On her last birthday in 1975, the dinner was held at Mardie's in Midvale and Myron came from Arizona for the occasion. She was so happy to have her family around her and especially pleased to have Myron there. After her death we four girls decided that even if we miss each other's birthdays, we will always get together in October for "Mom's birthday dinner", and this we have managed to do.
    Tom died in 1955 and Ida was left alone in the big house. The Handleys helped her a lot and she managed well for about seven years. Then rheumatism in her legs started to bother her and it was hard for her to go down to the basement to take care of the furnace. She was within two years of having the house paid for but she felt that she could no longer handle it. She wanted to be closer to one of her children. Elva found a duplex being built a few blocks from her and put her bid in for it. Final construction was so slow and the house having been sold, Ida stored her furniture and went to stay with her sister, Lillie, in Holladay for a few months. She enjoyed her visit here as she and Lillie had always been very close. In late 1962 she moved into the brand new duplex at 1846 South 6th East. She was very happy here, close to the bus, across the street from the church, and totally independent still. She could go to town as she pleased. Elva took her for groceries. Her family came to visit her often. Again she was blessed with exceptional neighbors, the Max Nelson family who lived in the other half of the duplex and couldn't do enough for her besides being her landlords, and Helen Catmull who lived in back of her. Helen was an outspoken but kind person who visited Ida every day in later years and always brought her potted flowers. "I give flowers to the living", Helen said. As the years passed, Ida's leg became more crippled and she stayed at home more. Steps were difficult for her to manage and cataract lenses made it harder for her to see. Her family started doing her errands for her and Elva brought her groceries to her. She, in all her life, had always just enough money to get by on and do a few of the things she wanted to do. In the 1970's her two brothers, Bill and Bish died, each leaving her a small inheritance but it came too late for her to really get any enjoyment from it. In appearance Ida was about five feet three inches tall. Her weight varied from 98 pounds when Leslie died to about 130 later in life. She had gray-green eyes and long dark brown hair. When bobbed hair came in style in the 1920's, she went to the barber shop in Park City and had her long braid cut off. She kept this tied with a ribbon in her trunk for many years. I remember how scared she was for Dad to see her short hair but I don't remember that he even noticed it. She used to curl her hair with a marcel attachment and would often get the iron too hot and scorch her hair. Later she had permanents but always wore it short. Her hair was very thick and coarse and turned gray and white. She was always clean and neat and usually wore a full apron when at home. She wore slacks up the canyon once but when she saw her picture taken in them, she would never wear them again. When she had company or went any place, even to the store, she wore beads and matching earrings. She said she was not completely dressed without them.
    Ida came from a family of "long-living people". Her father died at 77, her mother at 81. Of a family of eight, all except one, Zina, lived to be 70 or 80. Ida lived the longest, the last of her family. After an illness of three months, she died 31 Mar 1976, at the age of 89 years 5 months, survived by one sone, three daughters, 13 grandchildren and 20 great grandchildren. Since this writing her posterity has grown to more great granchildren, etc.
Her children are as follows:
    Elva married Clark Alfred Nichols, parents of Richard, Cathryn, and      Scott.
    Mardie (Marjorie) married George Eldon McCandless, parents of Beth, Kay Lynn and Tom.
    Myron married Maxine Eatinger, parents of Marilyn and Maurine.
    Aileen married Earl G. A. Quistberg, parents of Carole Ann, Jeanine and Judy (Twins), Diane, and Jerri Lynn.